Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Foggy Day in Tam Dao

Hello all! I can't wait to speak to 3rd block. It is 9 pm here so that means that it is 10 am where you are. I have been trying to upload some pictures for you for the past three days and have been unsuccessful. It maybe b/c three teachers are on their blogs at the same time. I will continue after you read this post. If I they do upload then you will see them first before this post but they do pertain to the things that I have talked about.

We have learned that the weather up here in Tam Dao is the decision maker for what our group does as well as what all the butterflies do as well. This morning I woke up to clouds literally pouring through my window. It’s very foggy (pronounced ‘mu’ in Vietnamese) and after breakfast we all feared that we wouldn’t be able to walk any transects again today.

Lien humored us and we hike up to the area called “new road”. It has a total of three transects and from here to the hotel and back a little over 5 miles. The new road is the one that I was talking about in my earlier post. Refer to it if you can’t remember. Building of the new road has come to a halt (maybe permanently!) because of a huge rockslide that occurred two months ago in the mountain. When we were walking you could see all sorts of remnants of mudslides, rockslides, and large bulldozers.

Butterflies were laying low in the morning but the fog was so thick it was almost like rain. My hair looked like I had just jumped out of the ocean.

I hung back with Lien and Anh and took it a bit more slowly and was fortunate enough to spot and photograph and indicator species that Lien said last years populations were very low but maybe now they are on the rise because there is no more construction of the new road.

The name of the indicator species that I spotted has the nickname of zebra. An indicator species is any species that can show the health of the forest. For example, in the new road the numbers of the zebra butterfly have decreased since the building of the new road. These butterflies are very sensitive to their habitat and if it is disturbed then their populations decrease. This is what eventually leads to the extinction and endangerment of a species in a region.

I was also the recorder for the three transects that we walked in the new road. That meant that I tallied every butterfly we saw and recorded the weather conditions at the start of each transect. Humidity is at 82% and the temperature was at 25º C.

Hopefully you all have learned about how different aspects of weather are measured and what each means.
Block 2- Please convert today’s temperature of 25ºC into Fahrenheit and post it as a comment.
Block 3- Describe the difference between humidity and relative humidity and post.

Block 4- Discuss the impact that you think weather has on butterfly behavior here is Tam Dao and then post a conclusion.

Today we identified ten more species and so far on this trip we have seen a total of 27 species. The total number of butterflies is close to 200 now. I did another rare one that I spotted today but I didn’t catch it because now I’m afraid I’ll hurt one again (good ol’ Winzeler).
I do want to post all my pictures but am having a hard time at the café. The café is only open at night and it’s crowded. Will attempt to attach some with this post.

Can’t wait to teach you some Vietnamese! I like to spend some of my free time hanging out with the hotel workers and Ahn, so I’m learning.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Winzeler,
I can't believe you're in vietnam! I've always wanted to go there, because of the beautiful scenery.. although you might not be experiancing that due to the monsoon. :[. Everyone back at Noble is so excited for you, and everyone involved in the expedition sound like amazing people. Well I've got to go and do my homework. I just wanted to stop by and say hello and I hope you are having a great time learning about the butterflies, I'm definitely interested. Keep us posted. bye!
~Ginnie W.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Winzeler it's me again, Richard. You know, from your 4th block class a few weeks ago and has now been switched to Ms. Kallfelz's class(which is really boring by the way. We don't get to go outside or nothing. I wish I was back in your class.).Sorry I haven't posted in a while I've been kind of busy doing work(ha, ha, ha, ha, I hope you don't actually beleive that. About doing work I mean. I have been a little busy) I've tried to catch up with your posts and I find them quite interesting. I'm glad i was the first person to post and I'll try to keep up with your journey and post more frequently.

Anonymous said...

About that last sentence about being first to post, well when I was writing mine I didn't see anyone else's on there. Well at least I was the first person to post twice.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Winzeler I actually do have a ? for you. Why do people put anonymous but then sign their names at the bottom? That just sort of confuses me, I don't about you but it does to me if you know I'm sayin'. No but really I do have a real question. Are there like american restaurants there? Like do they have a Mc Donald's or Burger King or things like that? Do they even have a place that serves american food?

Anonymous said...

Ms. Winzeler I bet you have a question for me also. Like "When are you going to stop posting?" or "Are you going to stop posting?" Well the answer is maybe. Depends on my mood.

Anonymous said...

Wow, i've posted like five messages. That's probably more than anybody.

Anonymous said...

I gotta another question for ya Winzeler. Hold on I'm waiting for Jepardy to come back on. Alright, the question is, uh nevermind that wasn't the best question but I bet you would have known it(I'm a big suck up aren't I). Time for a real question, again. Have you found any irregular butterflies? Like ones that have 100 legs or 20 wings?

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs Winzler
it is connor H. I was just wondering how many butterflies have you caught and which has been your favorite type of butterfly. And have you discovered any rare or new speices on your trip. And about the "8"long inch bug I was wondering if you new how big the average size is
well peace out
Connor H

Anonymous said...

Ms. Winzeler -

I am trying to experience what you are experiencing...communicating intelligently 12 hours off schedule! I am finally able to catch up on all of your blog postings. They are so interesting that I go back and reread them several times to really get the flavor of your trip. Your students are in awe of this experience for you and for them! Tomorrow (well today really) we are going to hit the books on monsoons and weather tools and be super-ready for your 7:45 a.m. call on Thursday. You truly are the talk of the town! I saw folks from Centrasl Office Technology today at Hoggard and they couldn't get enough of what I had to say. Talk to you soon ~ Your very lucky substitute, Mrs. Kraybill

Anonymous said...

Forgot to ask these questions...

(1) how long (distance) are the transects you walk each day?

(2) since you are living and working at such high elevations, are you finding it harder to breathe and perform your routine daily activities?

Anonymous said...

Block 2 Homework from Blog:

Convert today's temperature of 25 C to F.

T(F) = 9/5 * T(C) + 32
= 9/5 * 25 + 32
= 77 F

Anonymous said...

BLock 4 Homework from Blog:

What effect does the weather have on butterfly behavior in Tam Dao?

Butterflies hide when it rains and storms.

Anonymous said...

Block 3 Blog Homework:

Describe a monsoon.

A monsoon is a major wind system that changes direction seasonally. All monsoons share three basic things: a difference in heating between the land and oceans; Coriolis forces due to the rotation of the Earth; and the role of water which stores and releases energy as it changes from liquid to vapor and back. The combined effect of these three things produces the monsoon's reversals of high winds and precipitation. "Monsoon" is also a common slang term used to describe torrential rains.

(from Wikipedia and www.unl.edu)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Winzeler hope everything is going ok in vietnam. So far it sounds like you have been doing pretty good. I can't wait when you come back to tell us everything. Oh and how is the weather there?Has it stopped raining?

Anonymous said...

How are you doing in Vietnam? Do you still have a headache like you said in class? We all miss you very much. What's it like there?

Daniel