Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Two Brothers

Here are the men that many of you had the privilege of speaking with during the teleconferences. Viet is on the left and Lien to the right. You are a the first American students that either of these fellows have ever spoken with. I know that there is a language barrier and it was hard to understand each other on both ends but the experience of talking to a Vietnamese scientist (who are rare themselves) and a Vietnamese contract teacher is one to be proud of. Your questions were PERFECT!!!

Lien is a true scientist, very soft spoken and really does care about the environment and butterflies. I asked him why he chose butterflies to study and instead of giving me a bunch of garb he simply said, "because the are beautiful". Well put I think. Next week is a big week for him. I do believe that he is defending some part of his dissertation so that he will have his PhD. He asked me to read over and correct his papers for grammar and I felt very honored that he would ask me to do that for him. It lead me to learn even more about his research.

Viet is quite a character and socialite. He and his brother are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to personality. Viet was very eager to tell us everything about Vietnamese culture and I picked his brain every moment I could for information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which one do you think is smarter?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Winzeler -
Was it hard for you to communicate with Lien and Viet since they didn't speak English very well?