Friday, May 18, 2007

Shout Outs and Responses

Okay. I am doing my best right now to respond to everyone's comments from yesterday when you were all in the computer lab. But, of course, I can't get to some of the comments.

A big shout out goes to my fourth block!!! I am sorry that I haven't been able to speak with you all and miss you much. For those of you that came early to school to the teleconference thank you. It's nice to know you were there.

Mrs. Everhart and fellow teachers: Thank you for your support. This would not be possible without you!!!

Mrs. K: YOU ROCK!!! I know that the students are in good hands and you guidance and teaching throughout all this has made it a valuable experience for my students and I thank you for that.


Seth Reid: Anh is just here to assist Lien. Lien is the guy who set up his research for the butterflies up here in Tam Dao. As of now I don't believe that he has enough data to convince the government not to continue with the road and build the new town. It will take a lot of help from outside environmental groups to help also. As I have stated before, this is a very poor country and they government wants to bring more money. So maybe saving the butterflies is not high on their list of priorities. I miss you too. :)

Matt Fisher: It's illegal to take the orchids from the forest because they are a protected species of plant. It doesn't seem to be of much concern to the government though. That is a leftover tree branch that Mrs. Peters is holding. It is hard to get the orchids to bloom up here and they grow high up in the trees. I have a picture of an orchid house and a man building pots for them so that he can sell them to the tourists. I will post them when I get to Hanoi tomorrow night. I do not know what insect pollinates them though. Also, we visited one of Lien's friends in another village yesterday. He is a beetle guy but had many beautiful orchids in bloom at his home there are some photos. I will post them as well.

Ryan Horne: The peacock is a butterfly from the papillion family. Aside from the fog the trip is going well. As Ahn says, "We belong to the weather." We are actually leaving Tam Dao a day early and going to stay in Hanoi tomorrow where we will tour the city and go to the museum of entomology, and perhaps the water puppet show.

Addison Folcher: We just had our wrap up session this afternoon. On the trip we observed a grand total of 37 different species of butterflies. Very low as compared to the same time the year before. The weather was the limiting factor for this round of data. Maybe it's because we are studying weather in the classroom. The town's are very different and still have some French influence. Yes, it is pretty unsanitary in some parts. I will describe more when I see you again. Will not forget peanuts you all have ingrained it into my brain. In fact, I think I dreamt about 3rd block and peanuts last night. Viet's favorite subject is...ENGLISH!!! and that is what he teaches his students. They are currently on summer break so they aren't studying anything right now. They are working with their families mainly in the rice fields.

Andrew Chappell: Most of the houses are very small and mostly consist of one room. Some of the people that have money either from working for the government or selling their land have two story houses quite pretty. I hope that they don't build the new town and yes it would affect the forest species of butterflies but not the ones that are in abundance around the villages (like the cabbage).
We found the moth catapillar high up in the new road transect walkin' up a tree.

Lexie Armini, Drew Hicks, Patrick Hayes, and Mascucci: Those are red strings on Ahn's hat and I don't know what they mean I will ask him tonight at dinner. The plant he is looking at is cinnamon. Yes, I have tasted it and so have you. Yesterday, I had cinnamon flavored water, it was delicious!!! I want to know how they make it so I can make some for all of you. The plant is in abundance up here. On that particular plant, they found some catapillars of a very rare forest butterfly and took them back to raise them and release when they become butterflies.

We are going to spend Saturday and Sunday in Hanoi. There is a much better Internet connection there so if you get a chance over the weekend have a look at some new pictures. I will fly into Raleigh late Monday night if all goes well. Perhaps will try to videoconference from New York if I get a chance.

I posted a gabcast that lasted about 6 minutes and am not seeing it here on this end. Can you all listen to it back home? Please let me know.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are not seeing the gabcast; I even went to the gabcast site - I only saw your first two test casts. Actually getting to talk to you has been such a great experience for the students.

Anonymous said...

I cannot tell how excited these kids are to talk to you on the computer! They ask every day if you are calling again. How is your head!!! I thought they all had some very thought-out questions for you yesterday. We hope you are not blogged out!!

Today is awards day...7th grade just got finished. We will report winners to you as soon the students come in.

We are a little behind on official weather study because we have been engrossed with butterfly research but not to worry. We agree with Anh..we are one with the weather!

Anonymous said...

Award Report #1:

Connor D - perfect attendance and A/B honor roll (HR); Hannah - Citizenship and A/B HR; Connor H - A/B HR, Principal Award, and Sports Award; Alex - Sports; Lizzie - A/B + Sports; Matt - Sports; Seth - A/B; Adam - A/B and Perfect Attendance; Andrew - Sports; Julianne - A/B; Andy - Perfect Attendance for 8 years!!!; Alan - A/B HR; Ryan P - A/B HR; Ryan H - A/B HR and Sports; Kat - A/B HR; Haley - A/B HR

Way to Go!!

Sharon said...

What wonderful support at Noble Middle from teachers and students! As an educator, I am enjoying the learning and sense of community that you all represent. Noble students, I feel like I know some of you. Your enthusiasm for learning is inspiring. Noble teachers, I know Beth appreciates your support. What great discussions you've had. The level of questions from the students is so high!
Sharon Winzeler (mom and teacher)

Anonymous said...

Award winners report #2:

William - A/B HR and Citizenship; Zach - A/B HR; Amanda A Honor Roll; Ashly - A/B HR and GREEN TEAM!; Lexie - SCA, Top AR, A/B HR; Courtney - Principals Award and SCA; Addison - A/B HR and Top AR; Cameron - Citizenship

Rock on!

Anonymous said...

Award Report #3:

Grant - Citizenship; Alex - Excellent Reader (Top AR, 303 pts); Nick - A/B HR; Austin - A/B HR; Jakub - A/B HR; Isaac - Perfect Attendence; Molly - A Honor Roll; AJ - A/B HR; Tyler - AR (446 pts!); Travis - A/B Honor Roll and SCA; Sarah - A Honor Roll; Darius - A/B HR; Sam - A/B HR, Peer Mediation, SCA

We rock and WE MISS YOU!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms Winzeler, I really miss you and hope you are having fun in Vietnam. I sorry I could not come to the telacomfernce. I got the form sighned and all. I frogot it would be so early and my mom was not off of work yet. I hope everything is going well. What is it like in Vietnam? What are the classrooms like? Do you like it there? What are the teachers like? Were the other teachers equaly excited like you were? Well I hope to see you at the end of this year or maybe next year if you do come back. That was a joke I would miss you entirly to much if you didn't com back. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

If you get the chance to call them - the students you had last 4.5 weeks (now in social studies) will be in my lab Monday - all blocks.

Safe travels!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms.Winzeler, where are you right now? Are you on your way home? I came to the little conference thing we had on thursday morning. It was hard to interpret what your friend was saying. We cant wait until you come back.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until you can talk to us and share with us everything about your trip. All of the butterfly, catterpillars, and moth pictures on your blog are beautiful and facinating. I'm jealous, everything in Vietnam sounds so amazing and I wish I could of been there with you. Everything sounds so fun... especially the showers and the laundry.

polywagman said...

me in salt lake city,utah

Anonymous said...

hey havent talked to you in whle and late thoughts about vietnam? any regrets?

bye bye :)