Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Tam Dao Woman


I was on a stroll one afternoon and asked this woman if I could take her picture. She was ecstactic and even more so when I showed her her photo on the screen. Some of the Vietnamese don't want you to take their picture because they think that they are too ugly for photos.
I think they are beautiful.
The reason for the scarf over her face is because when it is dry it gets dusty when the motobikes go by. Air quality is a major problem too especially in Hanoi.
Vietnamese women keep as much covered as possible because they want to keep their skin as light as possible. It is considered a sign of beauty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I talked to you on Thursday I asked you if you wore one of those cloths on your face and you said no but you wanted one. It would be cool if you brought one back. See if you can get one before you leave.